The rise of audio storytelling
Data shows that Indians are spending 21.5 hours every week consuming audio content, against the global average of 17.8 hours.
- India is the world’s third-largest podcast listening market.
- By 2023 the number of listeners will rise to 17.61 crores.
- India’s music, radio and podcasts market could hit up to Rs 10,000 crore by 2023.
- Audio-streaming is in a clutter-free environment which means consumers are less likely to get distracted.
- In a world that’s becoming increasingly voice-controlled, this is the time for brand’s to build their sonic identity.
- Brands can present their messages in a variety of formats such as, ad spots, sponsored podcasts, high impact display etc.
Choose the right format
- Interview: A panel-discussion or roundtable format, with a host who leads the conversation.
- Monologue: The commentary-style podcast is built around one personality, which gives the show one voice or a single point of view.
- Multiple hosts: The podcast is divided between several people, or two or more co-hosts leading the show.
- Narrative: This storytelling style of podcast focuses on how the content is presented.
- Mixed: This hybrid format uses various elements of the other four content types & may repurpose content from other mediums, such as radio.
Tricks on your fingertips
- Keep your podcast focused & narrowed to a single topic.
- Create fictionalized models of ideal customers & devise audio content based on that.
- Convert podcast into articles & publish on content seeding platforms with a CTA to the original podcast.
- Add good intro & outro music to the audio podcast to captivate consumers attention.
- Utilize platforms like Anchor which help distribution audio content across various platforms.
- Leverage email marketing by sending monthly or bi-weekly recap of the latest podcast episodes to encourage subscribers to engage.
- Urge subscribers to share reviews as positive reviews can help the podcast rank higher in searches.
- Include a transcription with the podcast as it makes content more accessible for the audience & helps improve SEO rankings.