Each year, Google releases its annual ‘Year in the Search list’, revealing the top trending search terms and topics of the year. This list provides an interesting insight into what the world was talking about in the past 12 months. It gives us a glimpse into the public’s minds, allowing us to see what really resonated with people and what was on their minds. From current events to pop culture phenomena, this list gives us a roadmap of how the world has been reacting to the events of the past year. Let’s look into the top global and local search trends of 2022.
- The Indian Premier League (IPL) continues to be the biggest sporting sensation in the country, as it was the top trending search in 2022. With its exciting matches, glitzy opening ceremonies, and star-studded line-up, the IPL became the talk of the town. It was closely followed by Cowin, the vaccine registration portal, and the much-awaited FIFA World Cup 2022.
- The highly anticipated movies “Brahmastra: Part One” and “K.G.F.: Chapter 2” have been trending the most as fans eagerly await their release. With both movies boasting an all-star cast, as well as stunning visual effects and an intriguing plot, viewers couldn’t seem to wait to see them. It’s no wonder these two movies are the talk of the town!
- Agneepath Scheme has become one of the most searched topics on Google in the ‘What is’ segment, topping the list and being followed by NATO, NFT and PFI. By offering pan-India merit-based recruitment, the Agneepath scheme serves as a unique opportunity for the Indian youth to realize their desire to enlist in the military and defend the country.
- People around the world have been actively searching online for information on how to download their COVID vaccination certificate and PTRC challan. With the current pandemic, it’s no surprise that this has been a top search, as it’s an important step in keeping everyone safe and healthy.
- B.J.P. spokeswoman Nupur Sharma, who has since been suspended, was the most googled person in India in 2022. Droupadi Murmu, the president of India, was followed by Lalit Modi and the new prime minister of the United Kingdom, Rishi Sunak.
- The world was shocked by the passing of legendary Indian singer Lata Mangeshkar and the rising Indian rapper Sidhu Moose Wala. The news of their deaths was one of the most searched topics on the internet, followed by the recent war between Russia and Ukraine. It was a sad reminder of the fragility of life and the importance of cherishing every moment.
This list of top trending searches on Google, when compared to last year’s results, demonstrates a significant shift in search trends, as users primarily searched for questions linked to the coronavirus in 2021.
The mapping of the global trend will be intriguing as well. The top choices from the list are as follows:
- Google has identified the word game Wordle as their top search in 2022.
- The T20 World Cup semi-final between India and England had the second-most Google searches in 2022.
- Due to the ongoing conflict, news about Ukraine received the highest number of searches.
- The other top searches in the people, sports, and news categories included Queen Elizabeth, India Premier League, India vs SA, World Cup, India vs West Indies, iPhone 14, and Jeffrey Dahmer.
So, these were the top global and local search trends of 2022, and it is clear that search trends will continue to evolve. Therefore, keep an eye on the latest trends, and continue searching for the best information available.